Wednesday, February 29, 2012

In the name of healthy

When I was pregnant I vowed that my child would not have the same health problems as I do, I raised him to eat at least 2 servings of veggies (or fruit) at every meal and to ingest mainly complex carbs with his proteins.  I am proud to say that he has the healthiest diet of anyone I know...except on Tarzan's BNO.  I allow him to get McDonald's and while I don't eat food from McDonald's I allow him to have his occasional guilty pleasure.  Every time we go he gets the chicken nuggets (I have tried everything to end this unhealthy relationship but even the 'How Chicken Nuggets Are Made video can't end his unyielding love for them) and apple dippers...the kid is a huge fan of the apple.  Well tonight may have ruined his chances of ever tasting the fried goodness of his yummy chicken nuggets again.

I was appalled when I received my child's meal, alongside his glorious fried nuggets of nasty were fries and the smallest bag of apple slices I have ever seen.  I went back to the counter to inform them of the mistake and was told that McDonald's is making some changes to their menu.  The manager said, "In order to offer a healthier Happy Meal we are now offering french fries AND apples in each meal (like it was a point of pride)".  To which I responded, "How is minimizing the amount of apples and forcing french fries on my child healthy?"  Looking baffled he stuttered, "Did you see how small the order of fries is?"  Laughing I retorted, "Have you seen how small the apples are, what a joke!"


"Apple Dippers' - before menu change
 Really McDonald's??  You think this is healthier?  While I never really agreed with the whole caramel thing, this is ridiculous.  Now my child has THREE TINY pieces of apple AND french fries, I understand some kids never get the apples but is it wise to give the addicting taste of french fries to kids who don't enjoy them? 


new 'Apple Slices'
 Take a clue from Chick-Fil-A, now that is a healthy meal for kids.... 

2 comments:

  1. good point. apparently enuf mothers complained about McD's feeding their children GOOD food that changes were made.
    :-)
    shame

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy. If they're going to do this, they should still offer the option of apples ONLY. Love me some Chick-Fil-A!

    ReplyDelete