Thursday, January 26, 2012

taking a giant jump into this leap year...

Last year I decided that I would make a private resolution to see if for once I could in fact set a goal and keep it for a whole 365 days...I was surprised on December 12, 2011 when I realized I had not only inadvertently forgotten about said resolution, but I also kept it!  I  was so close to surviving a full calendar year without purchasing (for those the know me personally, I hope you're sitting down) a single purse OR pair of shoes for myself!  Once I made this realization I had to endure the hardest 19 days of my life...every where I turned I saw the cutest shoes and purses but I am happy to report that I still have yet to purchase any of the afore mentioned items...I was inspired.

LOVE Loungefly purses
Since I was able to directly affect the balance of my savings account by asking myself daily, "Do you really NEED this?" I wondered what I could for myself if I made a more personal 'promise'.  Could I dedicate the year of the dragon to my health?  Could I survive a year of exercise, what would it feel like, could it be a goal that could become a life altering habit? 

Heart disease is more common than brunettes in my family tree and it's not a matter of IF I have an affair with heart disease but WHEN.  I have decided to challenge myself to making some difficult choices; making meals that don't come from boxes or cans, 4 days a week of 45 minutes (minimum) of exercise, steer clear from high fructose corn syrup, and increase my veggie and fruit intake by 80%. 



I am taking matters into my own hands, since January 2nd I have begun the journey by cutting out the junk and adding whole foods to my family's diet and things were going well until I had a bump in the road that could have lead to my quick demise.  Every woman, weather she has voiced it or not, has a number of pounds that she never wants to reach; on January 9th I weighed myself and realized that I was 11lbs over my OMG number.  So after crying myself to sleep that night, I ran out to the local Gamestop and purchased a copy of Just Dance 3 (you HAVE to try it, it really is a blast) for my PS3 and I haven't let up. 

I have also taken advantage of a trail membership at Cheetah's dojo and have decided that no matter the expense, I have to do this for myself.  On January 16th, after much research on my part and a doctor visit I decided that juicing could be a key in helping unlock my love for fruits and veggies; it is amazing how much better I feel already.  My body is working better, my skin has cleared up, my digestive system no longer requires a steady intake of Tums, and I actually have more energy than I ever had while drinking sodas (after a terrible 5 days without caffeine...it really was easy to kick the habit).

Nothing that is worth having is easy to get your hands on, and I am sure I will want to give up on many occasions.   I hope to have some people willing to be 'calorie dialed' as I stand in front of some smelly fried chicken place for the 3rd time that week, just dying to go inside.  I will give into my urges in the most responsible way I can find, this can't be a diet, it can't be something quickly forgotten once the 366 days of 2012 pass by.  I have to look at myself and my family and friends and decide what is most important...eating what lies in the shiny smelly yummy fast food places on each and every corner or being a whole supportive presence in their daily lives.  So email me your number if you are willing to be my 'calorie texted' or 'calorie dialed' back-up...I promise to do the same.  ;)
  

1 comment:

  1. you are inspiration. feel free to call me anytime!! ;-) if you can do it, perhaps i can, too!

    ReplyDelete