Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kevin Smith - my guilty pleasure

Usually my posts tell a heart-warming story or shed light on a topic that means a lot to me but today I wanted to let you in on a personal secret of mine and clue my readers in on something that makes me ‘tick’. So the rest of this post will be me, geeking out about one of my guilty pleasures.



I have an addiction to a few SModcasts ( http://smodcast.com/ ) and even though I listen EVERY day at work I can’t seem to get enough. I was introduced to the Viewaskew universe early on in my college years through watching Kevin Smith’s movies; Chasing Amy, Clerks, Jersey Girl, and Mallrats (to name only a few). I quickly became a fan of Kevin Smith, the array of characters he created, and the team of people who he counts on for bringing his visions to life. I own his movies, have read his books, watched his Q & A’s and I listen to a wide array of SModcasts that are offered on the website.
 

As Scott Mosier puts it, “There are so many to choose from”; they have shows about hockey, Hollywood, drug rehabilitation, and relationships that stand the test of time.  All of the shows have just enough ‘geeky’ references, a huge helping of comedy, and the perfect amount of explicit topics to turn me red a few times a day.  I have four that are my favorites: SModcast (the one that started it all), Hollywood Babble-On, Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, and Plus One.  I have always been drawn to Smith’s candor, self-depreciating humor, and vast knowledge of the most obscure topics; and the shows never disappoint.  I have enjoyed getting to know Scott Mosier, Jason Mewes, and Jennifer Schwalbach as well as meeting new faces in the Smith world like the uber hilarious Ralph Garman.


So if you are prepared for laughter, can stand a FEW Star Wars references, enjoy the occasional impression, and have some kid-free time to kill, please don’t waste a second. Head on over to the SModcast website and find the show that is just right for you.


(Please keep in mind that these shows are EXPLICIT and not for everyone.)


Side bar: Smith has recently completed shooting his newest (and 1st ever) Horror flick, Red State. The movie will premiere in theaters October 19th but if that’s too long to wait, they are taking it ON THE ROAD! Go to http://coopersdell.com/ and see if the movie will be headed to your neck of the woods. So excited, can’t wait to see this one!


 

1 comment:

  1. okay, now i have to go check out this kevin smith dude ... i'm familiar with jay and silent bob from "Dogma" (which i own, of course ... i mean, george carlin as a bishop! allanis morissette as god!!! i LOVE blasphemy!) but the others are (mostly) unknown to me. got a new list, i guess :-D thanks, boo boo!

    ReplyDelete